Saturday, December 10, 2011

Turkey Breakfast Patties

These ground turkey breakfast patties make one of my favorite homemade breakfast sandwiches. I developed this recipe in an attempt to make a healthy and satisfying quick breakfast meal that I can take to work each day. I have been making these patties for years. I tried to make the patties without salt, but they were lacking in flavor. To punch the flavor up a bit, I occasionally make these patties by adding 2-tbls. Of ketchup to the mix, and omit the water.

The night before my workweek begins I prepare and cook the patties, and store them in a covered container in the refrigerator. I keep the patties in the refrigerator for 4 days, then I wrap each patty individually and freeze them (they freeze well). Each morning I heat one patty in the microwave and place between two slices of toasted thin sliced whole wheat bread to make a breakfast sandwich.

Note: The texture is not the same as a pork patty, as the turkey tends to blend into a smooth mixture. When making these patties try to incorporate all the ingredients throughout with as little mixing as possible.

You can also make these patties for dinner and serve them on a whole wheat bun with lettuce and tomato.


 Hopefully, you will enjoy these patties as much as I do!

What makes this healthy:
  • I use ground turkey instead of pork, and they are homemade, and not the traditional packaged sausage

Turkey Breakfast Patties

Makes 5-6 servings

1 to 1 - 1/2 lbs. ground turkey (93% fat free)
3/4 tsp. fennel seed
1 tsp. poultry seasoning (no salt added)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 tbls. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbls. cold water

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, mix thoroughly.  Flatten mixture in an even round, divide into six sections.  Roll each section into a ball, and flatten each into a ½ inch thick patty.  Place each patty onto a plate.  Cover with plastic wrap, place in refrigerator overnight. 

When ready to prepare, place each patty on a heated non-stick 12” skillet and fry on medium to low heat until cooked through, flipping once (about 20 - 25 minutes, and no longer pink inside).

No comments: