Friday, February 17, 2012

Tomato Soup and Barley

Since my last post I began to think of ways to incorporate more whole grains into our diet.  I precooked some barley and stored it in a closed container in the refrigerator.  Just the other night, in my quest for fast and healthy weeknight meals, I decided to keep it simple and have soup and sandwiches for dinner.  I opened two cans of fat-free, low sodium tomato soup, heated it and added about one cup of the cooked barley.  The barley added bulk and texture to the soup without altering the flavor.

Incorporating whole grains could not be simpler! No recipe here, just a dash of added healthiness.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do this with brown rice, so good. A little texture makes the soup more filling!

Gail said...

I agree...sounds good. Also, a great way to use up leftover brown rice!

Thanks for sharing.