Friday, June 1, 2012

Spaghetti Egg Scramble For One - A Leftover Makeover

Tonight was dinner for one – me.  My choices were to either stop and buy something for myself, or make my own meal at home.  There are those days when the thought of buying a meal just does not appeal to me, so I opted for making my own. 

So, on my drive home I began to think of the leftovers I had at home.  Immediately I thought of the leftover spaghetti noodles I had from the meal the other night.  So spaghetti and eggs it is! There was a time when I used to make a dish with wide egg noodles and scrambled eggs.  It was one of those go-to meals when I needed something quick and simple.  Tonight I made it just a bit healthier.

For this dish I used leftover ingredients from the refrigerator.  The dish contains multi-grain thin spaghetti, onions, green bell pepper, eggs, non-fat plain yogurt, some low-fat Mexican blend shredded cheese and fresh basil leaves. 

The picture here does not do this dish justice.  I have gotten into the habit of taking a quick picture of the food I post in my blog, that I felt compelled to post it. 

 Spaghetti for one – Enjoy!


Spaghetti Egg Scramble

Serves 1

2 Tbls. Extra virgin olive oil (add more if you feel the spaghetti needs it)
2 Tbls. Sweet onion, diced
½ Green bell pepper, diced
Couple shakes of sea salt (fine grind)
Couple shakes of ground black pepper
1 Cup Cooked Multi-grain thin spaghetti noodles
2 Eggs (or egg substitute equivalent)
2 Tsp. Plain Yogurt, non-fat variety
2 Tbls. Mexican blend shredded cheese, low-fat variety
2 – 3 Small fresh basil leaves

Heat olive oil in an 8-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Add the onions and sauté until translucent.  Add the green peppers, salt and sauté for about 3 more minutes, or until the peppers are tender.  Turn the heat down to medium-low; add the spaghetti noodles, and continue to sauté until the noodles are heated through and begin to turn a light golden brown color. 

Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a small bowl, add the yogurt, salt and ground pepper.  Wisk until all is completely blended.

Pour the egg mixture over the noodles, stir to cook the eggs.  At the very end, turn the heat off and add the cheese; stir to incorporate.

Immediately plate the spaghetti scramble.  With kitchen shears, snip the basil leaves (or with your fingers, tear the leaves into small strips) over the top of the spaghetti.

No comments: