Sunday, June 17, 2012

Whole Wheat Belgian Style Waffles with Cinnamon

Breakfast food is so fun and tasty.  There are so many creative and delicious dishes to prepare.  Many times I will order breakfast for dinner when we eat out at restaurants that serve breakfast 24 hours a day.  For months now I have been looking for a waffle recipe that uses whole wheat flour.  I reviewed many recipes, tried a few, and finally came up with the recipe I would like to share with you.  I combined a few of the ingredients from some of the recipes I found, and added a few of my own ingredients.  These waffles are nice and crunchy with a very tender middle.  My husband is not much of a waffle/pancake person, but he really did enjoy these.

 In my recipe I substitute practically all of the oil with Fage (plain) Total 0% Greek Strained Yogurt, making these waffles almost completely fat-free! (I did add 1 tablespoon of canola oil and 1 egg.)  This is the first time I attempted to use yogurt as a replacement for oil and the result was excellent.  Who would have known that yogurt could be such a great substitute!  With the whole wheat flour I am getting the benefits of whole grains, and the yogurt adds extra protein and fat-free healthiness.

These waffles were made with an electric non-stick Belgian style waffle iron.  My waffle iron makes two waffles that are 4″ x 4″ square.  I have not tried to make the waffles with a traditional round iron, although I feel they will turn out just fine if that is what you have.  I added cinnamon that just complements the nutty flavor of the whole wheat flour.

These waffles make a great alternative to the traditional waffle.

Enjoy!

Whole Wheat Belgian Style Waffles with Cinnamon

Makes 7 Belgian style waffles (size: 4″ x 4″ X ¾″ square)

1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour (I used King Arthur Organic Unbleached Whole Wheat Flour)
¼ Cup All Purpose white flour
¼ Cup Cornstarch
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
¼ Tsp.  Splenda (or sugar equivalent =1 teaspoons sugar)
1 and ¾ Tsp. Cinnamon
¼ Tsp. Kosher salt
¼ Cup Fage (plain) Total 0% Greek Strained Yogurt
1 Tbls. Canola oil
1 Egg
½ Tsp. Pure vanilla extract
½ Tsp. Lemon juice (I used bottled real lemon juice)
1 1/3 Cup 1% Milk, warm to lukewarm
Cooking spray to coat the waffle iron

Pre-heat the waffle iron.

In a large mixing bowl, sift all dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, white flour, cornstarch, baking powder, Splenda, cinnamon, and salt. 

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, oil, egg, vanilla and lemon juice.  Add the warmed milk to the mixture and whisk to combine.

Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine, do not over-mix – a few small lumps are fine.  Let the batter rest for about 10 minutes.

Lightly spray the pre-heated waffle iron with cooking spray, ladle the batter onto waffle iron, and cook according to the manufactures instructions.  Remove the cooked waffles to a cooling rack and repeat the cooking process until you have used all the batter.

Serve with your favorite toppings.  I served mine with a no-sugar added fruit spread and sugar free syrup.

No comments: