Saturday, February 25, 2012

Homemade Turkey Helper – A One-Skillet Meal

This is a great go-to meal when you want something quick, easy, and nutritious.  Leftovers are great for work the next day; simply reheat in the microwave oven. I developed this recipe by trial and error many years ago.  At the time, I used to make a boxed brand skillet mixture and just got tired of the taste.  I liked the one-skillet concept so I developed my own.  I have been making it ever since, only now I make a healthier version; I use low-fat tomato soup, brown rice, and ground turkey instead of ground beef. 
Enjoy!

Homemade Turkey Helper – A One-Skillet Meal

Serves 5 – 6 People
2 Tbls. Extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. Lean ground turkey
½ Tsp. Fresh ground pepper
¾ Tsp. Garlic powder
¼ Tsp. Kosher salt
½ Medium onion, diced
2 Stalks Celery, diced
½ Green bell pepper, diced
½ Cup Brown Rice
¾ Tsp. Dried basil, crushed
½ Tsp. Dried oregano, crushed
1 (10 ¾ ounce) Can Tomato soup; low-fat and lower sodium variety
1 ¼ Cups Water
1 to 1 ½  Cups Frozen tender sweet peas or frozen sweet corn
1 to 2 Tbls. Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)

Heat a 12 inch non-stick skillet on medium high.  Add olive oil to skillet; spread the oil coating the bottom of the skillet.  Add the ground turkey, ground pepper, garlic powder and salt; mix with a wooden spoon to combine. Cook just until turkey begins to brown, about 5 minutes.

Add onions and celery; continue to cook until onions become translucent, about 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and rice; cook another 2 minutes. Add basil, oregano, tomato soup and water to the mixture, stir to combine.
 
Bring mixture to a boil,reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 15 minutes.  Add the frozen peas, or corn to the mixture; cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until rice becomes tender.  Top with the grated cheese (optional ingredient) and serve.

1 comment:

Gail said...

This recipe is one of the most popular viewed recipes on my site. I made this yesterday, but with a twist. I sautéed shredded carrots with the sauté mixture ingredients, added a 1/4 cup of extra dry vermouth and a tablespoon of tomato paste to the mixture before adding the tomato soup. It was delicious! This may be my new version going forward!

Enjoy!
Gail