Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Tangy Sweet Coleslaw


Who doesn’t love coleslaw as a side with any barbeque?  I have been making my own coleslaw for years, only now I make it healthier.  For this slaw I cut back on the sugar and mayonnaise, and added a bit more vinegar. 

I am not a big fan of low-fat mayonnaise, so I use a good quality light mayonnaise.  Also, I substituted Splenda No Calorie Sweetener for much of the sweetness.  I find that Splenda can add an unpleasant bitterness if too much is used, so I added a bit of sugar.   If you want the slaw tangier, just add a bit more vinegar…if you want it sweeter; just add a bit more sugar, or Splenda.  In other slaw recipes I used honey as an added sweetener, it would work well in this recipe choose to add it. You can easily adapt this recipe to the dietary needs of your family.

I find that coleslaw is at its best when it is made the day before.  This gives the cabbage some time to break down and wilt a bit.  At the least, you should prepare this about 4 hours before you are ready to serve. I prepare it the day before I plan on serving it.

Enjoy!
 
Tangy Sweet Coleslaw

Serves 8 – 10 people

 2 Tbls. Grated sweet onion
¼ Cup Light mayonnaise
3 Tbls. Apple cider vinegar
1 Tbls. Canola oil
½ Tsp. Celery seeds
1 Tbls. White sugar
2 Packets Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, or sugar (1 packet of Splenda is equivalent to 2 teaspoons of white sugar)
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 Cups Shredded cabbage
½ Cup Diced green bell pepper
½ Cup Shredded carrots

 To make the slaw dressing, add the first eight ingredients to a large mixing bowl.  Use a wire whisk to mix the ingredients together.  The mixture should be completely blended.  Next add the cabbage, bell pepper and carrots to the dressing.  Stir to combine.

Cover the bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Couldn’t be easier!!!

No comments: