Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes


One of my fond childhood memories is my grandmother’s Sunday breakfast.  The breakfast would always include incredible fluffy, tender pancakes.  I tried to carry on this tradition with my own family, only my pancakes were always less than memorable.  Much to my disappointment, my pancakes always turned out rubbery and flat.  I can remember my one son developed an upset stomach after eating a stack of my pancakes – I’m sure it was indigestion! Soon, pancakes were off the list at my house.                   

My kids would go to their friends’ houses for sleepovers and come home raving about the pancakes they had for breakfast. They would ask why I didn’t make them when they had their friends over for a sleepover.  The truth be told, I just did not know how to make good pancakes.

Many years later, after much reading and experimenting, I found that my problem was in the way I prepared the batter.  I would always whisk the batter until it was completely smooth – no lumps.  And, I would begin to cook the pancakes immediately after preparing the batter – no resting time.  It was not until I changed my method of preparation, did I begin to make pancakes again – not over mixing the batter, small lumps were a good thing, and allowing the batter to rest.  These small changes allowed me to make the fluffy, tender pancakes I remembered having at my grandmother’s house.

Enjoy!


Light and Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes

Makes 12 – 3-inch pancakes

1 ¼ Cups All purpose white flour
1 Tbls. White sugar
½ Tsp. Kosher salt
½ Tsp. Baking Powder
½ Tsp. Baking soda
¼ Cup Canola oil, plus 1 tablespoon
1 ½ Cups Lowfat Buttermilk
2 Large eggs
1 ½ Tsps. Pure Vanilla Extract
Powder sugar for dusting –optional

Note:  Do not over mix your pancake batter.  Mix it until it is just combined.  You will have small lumps in the batter, this is okay…you want to see this!  They will smooth out somewhat during the resting process.  Over mixing will result in tough pancakes that will not rise properly.


In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda; mix with a whisk to combine.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; whisk until just combined and you can still see small lumps in the batter.

Cover the batter and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Heat a non-stick griddle pan, add one tablespoon of canola oil.  Swirl to coat the pan and remove any excess oil with a paper towel.  Pour on to the hot griddle 1/4 cup of the batter per pancake.  Turn when the sides begin to dry and bubbles form all around the pancake.  Continue to cook until the second side is golden brown.

Plate and add a light dusting of powdered sugar to the tops of the pancakes.   Some suggested toppings:  sugar-free maple syrup, pure maple syrup, sliced fresh fruit, fruit compote, pure fruit spread.

No comments: