Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year! - Convert a Traditional Holiday Meal

The traditional meal on New Year's Day in our house is roast pork, sauerkraut and dumplings. This has been a tradition in my family for as long as I can remember. Today, I will prepare a healthier version of this meal. I will substitute what I perceive as not so healthy food items with healthier choices.  And of course, consume less than in years past!

My plan is to use the substitutions below. I have not tried this before, so I will not post the recipes today.  Rather I will try the recipes today, and if I achieve good results, I will post them at a later date.  The meal I will prepare today can be served and enjoyed at family meals throughout the year.

 Substitutions:

Pork Roast
Pork shoulder
Pork tenderloin

Dumplings (don’t be shocked by the amount of butter, this recipe can feed about 10 or more people)
All-purpose white flour          
Equal parts all-purpose white flour and whole wheat flour, sifting three times to create a lighter consistency in the final product
Butter-3/4 stick
Smart Balance Buttery Sticks-OMEGA-3 – ½ stick

Sauerkraut
Diced onion, sautéed in butter
Diced onion, sautéed in extra virgin olive oil
Sauerkraut drained of its liquid
Sauerkraut, rinsed and drained (to remove excess salt from the brine)

Now I must get cooking!  Wish me luck!

No comments: